For over three decades Miles has focused his practice on banking and financial services, bankruptcy and creditor’s rights, commercial litigation, appellate law, and real estate.
Miles holds a Bachelor of Science in Economics and both Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Political Science, earned simultaneously at the University of Pennsylvania. His understanding of business and government, coupled with his law degree from Harvard, give him a valuable perspective on complicated financial and commercial litigation issues.
The desire to pursue a commercial law practice was solidified early in his career when Miles clerked for the Hon. Carolyn King on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. He has handled numerous cases in state and federal courts, including arguments in the Texas Supreme Court and the United States Supreme Court.
Today, as a result of that experience and his knowledge, Miles is board certified in bankruptcy law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and is certified in business bankruptcy by the American Bankruptcy Institute. Miles is also a trained mediator and arbitrator, and he has served as Special Disciplinary Counsel to the State Bar of Texas.
- Represented the lender in a seminal United States Supreme Court case dealing with post-petition interest in bankruptcy cases
- Represented the lender in a Texas Supreme Court case dealing with foreclosure of intangible property
- Represented a real estate developer in a Texas Supreme Court case involving contacts for deeds
- Represented debtors, creditors and trustees in Chapter 11 reorganization cases for real estate, manufacturing, oil and gas, and software companies
- Represented court-appointed receiver for a professional employer organization
- Represented distributor of industrial products in multi-district products liability cases
- Represented employers in litigation involving discrimination and benefits claims, contract disputes, and actions to protect proprietary information and enforce non-compete covenants
- Represented lenders and borrowers in litigation involving foreclosures and deficiency claims
- Law Clerk, Honorable Carolyn Dineen King, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 1980-1981
- Program on Negotiation, Mediation Training Institute, Harvard Law School, 2006
- Bankruptcy Mediation Training, ABI/St. John’s School of Law, 2012
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers, BL Rankings, 2020
- Rated AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2003-2019
- Top Lawyer in Houston, H Texas Magazine, 2010-2015
- Boss of the Year, Houston Association of Legal Professionals, 2016
Publications & Presentations
- Landlord-Tenant Law: When the Tenant Files Bankruptcy, speaker/author, Sterling Education Services, 2015
- Real Estate Law Section: Real Estate Reorganizations, speaker/author, Houston Bar Association, 2015