Jeff Horowitz counsels clients on business formation, governance, and operation, with a substantial emphasis on a wide variety of real estate related transactions.
Jeff’s clients are primarily engaged in the real estate, medical, hospitality, food service, and entertainment industries. They rely on his counsel for matters relating to risk management, project management, asset protection, and contract formation and interpretation. His clients are principally comprised of privately-held and family-owned businesses from all parts of the world with holdings and interests throughout Texas and the United States.
Known for his knowledge in the corporate and real estate fields, Jeff is privileged to have the recognition of his peers. He has been continuously recognized by his peers as a Texas Super Lawyer each year since 2005, and was selected for inclusion in the list of National Corporate Counsel Super Lawyers in 2009 and 2010 by Thomson Reuters. Recently, Jeff was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2016-2024 (BL Rankings) in the field of real estate law, and H Texas Magazine named him one of Houston’s Top Lawyers in the areas of Corporate and Real Estate in 2017.
Jeff served his community as a board member and officer of the West University Place Planning and Zoning Commission, and with other private and non-profit organizations.
He is board certified in commercial real estate law and residential real estate law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- Represented parties to complex real estate transactions for over 30 years
- Acted as lead counsel representing buyers, sellers, landlords and tenants in connection with all types of properties in a number of different jurisdictions
- Represented owner of a 10,000 acre working ranch on the Big Island of Hawaii in connection with co-ownership and easement issues
- Represented buyer in structuring and closing the simultaneous acquisition of 4 regional shopping malls in 4 states (1,300,000 square feet of retail space)
- Represented landlords across the country in connection with negotiation of leases and other agreements with retail operators, including Ross Dress for Less, Walmart, JC Penney, Dillard’s, TJ Maxx, Petsmart, ULTA, Dollar Tree, Tractor Supply Co., Hobby Lobby, Dunham Sports, Applebee’s, Krispy Kreme, Whataburger, Starbucks, Rack Room, Maurice’s, Petsense, Cato, Fed Ex, and Walgreens
- Represented sellers/landlords and purchasers/tenants in connection with industrial and environmentally sensitive properties
- Represented tenants and subtenants in major Class A office building leases
- Represented investors and family offices in office, multi-family, hotel, and retail property investments
- Provided opinion letters as Texas counsel for over $2 billion worth of CMBS, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and other real estate loans
Corporate, Business Transaction and Tax
- Acted as general counsel to a number of closely held companies and family offices
- Created more than 200 limited liability companies, limited partnerships, corporations and other limited liability entities in Texas, Delaware, Arizona, and Florida, and been involved in the negotiation of many more
- Represented group acquiring trademark and franchisor rights of an existing 12 store chain, leading to commitments for approximately 100 stores in 2.5 years
- General counsel to Texas and Arizona fast food area developers and franchisees
- Structured ownership of US assets for non-US citizens through onshore and offshore entities
- General counsel representation for hedge fund with over $2 billion AUM
- General counsel representation of physicians and medical practice groups on issues of partnership, management, leasing, and employment
- Negotiated enterprise software licenses and maintenance agreements for major energy provider
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas International Law Journal, managing editor, 1984-85
- International Council of Shopping Centers
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America – Real Estate, BL Rankings, 2016-2024
- Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2005-2023
- AV Preeminent® Top Rated Lawyer, Martindale-Hubbell
- Boss of the Year, Houston Association of Legal Professionals, 2018
- Top Lawyer in Texas – Corporate and Real Estate, H Texas Magazine, 2017
- National Corporate Counsel Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2009-2010
Publications & Presentations
- Squaring the Circle of Mistrust: Negotiating Through Triple Net Issues Workshop, ICSC US Shopping Center Law Conference, Orlando, 2018
- Serving Up Common Area Maintenance Charges: Prix Fixe or A La Carte, co-speaker, ICSC US Shopping Center Law Conference, San Antonio, 2017
- Serving Up Common Area Maintenance Charges: Prix Fixe or A La Carte, Crain Caton & James CLE Program, Houston, 2017
- Purchase and Sale Agreement, Houston Association of Legal Professionals, Houston, 2017