Michael “Mike” Caton brings over 30 years of real estate experience in the shopping center industry having served as in-house counsel to a national regional mall shopping center developer and general counsel to national and regional strip shopping center developers. This experience allows Mike to think like an owner and provide practical solutions to complex leasing and development issues.
Mike advises landlord clients on a variety of real estate matters focusing primarily on commercial leasing with national and regional retail tenants, ground leases and office leases. Mike has also handled the purchase and sale of commercial real estate in multiple jurisdictions from the preparation and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements through the closing of the transaction, as well as acquisition and construction financing and a myriad of operational issues. Mike’s attention to detail and efficiency allows him to provide timely and cost-effective representation to his clients.
In his free time, Mike and his wife, Kathy, enjoy attending various sporting events, the theatre and spending time with their three rescue dogs, Cruz, Cooper and Lila.
- Represented landlords in negotiating leases with national and regional retailers such as Kohl’s, Lowe’s, Wal-Mart, Burlington, Marshalls, HomeGoods, Stein Mart, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Fresh Thyme, Natural Grocers, Sprouts Farmers Market, Boot Barn, Petco, Five Below, Buffalo Wild Wings and Five Guys
- Represented a shopping center developer in all legal aspects of real estate development and operations, including acquisition of shopping centers, leasing, outparcel sales, financing, preparation and negotiation of architectural agreements, construction contracts, leasing agreements and property management agreements
- Represented restaurant and retail tenants in the negotiation of letters of intent and leases
- Stages St. Louis, Board President, 2017-present; Board of Trustees, 2014-present
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), Member
- Five Acres Animal Shelter, Volunteer