Michelle Friery has over ten years of experience representing a full range of clients in commercial bankruptcies, commercial litigation, real estate transactions, and appeals. She has represented small businesses in several industries, including oil and gas, manufacturing, construction, staffing, health services, factoring, insurance, software, and real estate.
Whether her clients are involved in litigation or a bankruptcy proceeding, her ultimate goal is to help them reach a successful resolution and get a fresh start. Michelle is detail oriented and stays in constant communication with her clients to guide them through the often complicated and overwhelming process of bankruptcy and complex litigation.
In bankruptcy cases, Michelle has represented both debtors and creditors, as well as Chapter 7, Chapter 11, and liquidating plan trustees.
Michelle developed her research and writing skills while interning for Judge Wesley Steen in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas and Justice Adele Hedges of the First Court of Appeals in Houston. These skills have become her strengths and have served her clients well. Michelle excels at giving her clients guidance and peace of mind.
Michelle speaks conversational Portuguese.
- Represented small business owners in their Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings and related adversary proceedings
- Represented creditors in Chapter 7, Chapter 13, and complex Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings
- Represented Chapter 7, Chapter 11, and liquidating plan trustees to the conclusion of bankruptcy cases
- Represented debtors, creditors, and parties-in-interest in bankruptcy appeals
- Represented owners and purchasers in various residential and commercial real estate transactions
- Represented lenders and commercial property owners in evictions, other litigation and bankruptcy cases
- Represented court-appointed receiver for a professional employer organization
- Represented clients in commercial disputes at trial and appellate levels
- Represented employers in litigation involving discrimination and benefits claims, contract disputes, and actions to protect proprietary information and enforce non-compete covenants
- Represented lenders and borrowers in litigation involving foreclosures and deficiency claims
Honors & Awards
- Order of the Barons
- Quarter-Finalist, Duberstein Bankruptcy National Moot Court Competition
- Assistant Notes and Comments Editor, Houston Journal of International Law